Today, I had another day out with Crewe & Nantwich Conservation Volunteers on a task at Wybunbury Moss. We continued with the job of removing trees and spent the day cutting down birch saplings and burning them at the edge of open Moss.
The task was made more difficult by the problems we had getting the fire started. We had a good base of old tree trunks and some cardboard boxes to keep the bottom of the fire dry while getting going. With firelighters, kindling and a bag full of my shopping receipts, the fire started straightaway but we couldn’t get it roaring. The brash from cutting down the saplings burned far too quickly and left only light ash, so we cut down a couple of medium-sized birch to give the fire some more substantial wood to go at but none of this would catch properly while the fire burned straight through the light brash. The conditions seemed quite good for a fire – it has stopped raining and there was a light breeze to feed the fire with air – but we couldn’t work out why the fire wouldn’t roar as usual. It was only when we got stuck into some larger saplings that the mix of brash and thicker trunks, after at least a couple of hours of trying, that the fire started to burn well. It seems that each autumn we have to re-learn the techniques of building a good fire all over again.
It was quite a gloomy and moody day for most of the task; we still have a month to go to the shortest day but it seemed like we were already there. However, the day was brightened by two skeins of pink-footed geese flying over the Moss, probably on their way east to Norfolk for the winter.